When I walked into Galerie Colbert after walking into both Galerie Vivienne and Passage Choiseul, I was extremely surprised with what I found. After observing the other two passages, full of shops, restaurants, and cafés, I found a long hallway that…

Printemps is one of the main department stores found in Paris. It was founded in 1865 by Jules Jaluzot with the help of Jean-Alfred Duclos. According to the Printemps website, Jaluzot was a visionary entrepreneur that was struck with a genius idea to…

Located in the Opéra District on Rue des Petits Champs, Le Passage Choiseul varies from several of the other passages we have explored within the realm of Paris. Upon first glance, one can tell that the grandeur of this passage is not comparable…

Merci is a concept store located in the historic district of Haut-Marais. According to the Merci website, the store was created in March 2009 by Bernard and Marie-France Cohen when they realized that Paris “lacked a place which would bring together…

Haussmannization greatly influenced the Parisian lifestyle of the 19th and 20th centuries, changing the appearance of Paris forever. As the undertaking of Haussmannization increased within the city, the people of Paris looked for places to…

Eugène Atget’s storefront photography is an essential element to the investigation of the evolution of culture in Paris, specifically regarding retail, after Haussmannization, throughout the Belle Époque period, and onwards. Atget’s photographs of…