When I walked into Galerie Colbert after walking into both Galerie Vivienne and Passage Choiseul, I was extremely surprised with what I found. After observing the other two passages, full of shops, restaurants, and cafés, I found a long hallway that…

Located in the Opéra District on Rue des Petits Champs, Le Passage Choiseul varies from several of the other passages we have explored within the realm of Paris. Upon first glance, one can tell that the grandeur of this passage is not comparable…

Eugène Atget is famous for providing one of the most thorough photo documentations of Paris in the city’s history. He managed to capture the streets and everyday life at the beginning of the twentieth century, and helped to document the ever-growing…

When comparing Eugene Atget's and Christopher Rauschenberg's photos of The Sacré-Coeur from Rue Norvins in the gorgeous Montmartre with our photo taken many years later, the rapid gentrification of this iconic street is striking. However, when…

The streets of Rue de Seine and Rue de l’Échaudé meet to form an intersection where Eugène Atget originally decided to take a photograph. Atget’s photograph featured the side of a building located on this intersection. Rauschenberg decided to retrace…

Centuries after its initial construction as an industrial attraction for the 1889 World’s Fair (also known as the Exposition Universelles), the Eiffel tower has now become the premier symbol of Paris. In its early years, however, the massive and…

Haussmannization greatly influenced the Parisian lifestyle of the 19th and 20th centuries, changing the appearance of Paris forever. As the undertaking of Haussmannization increased within the city, the people of Paris looked for places to…

The first covered shopping passages appeared in Paris near the end of the eighteenth century. At their peak, there was a network of more than 200 passages, many interconnected and ornately decorated (Muschamp, 2000). Parisian passages flourished…