At the corner of the Rue Vavin in Montparnasse, the Le Select opened as an instant success in 1925 by the Pléget family. It served as a meeting place for intellectuals, artists, writers, dancers and other creative types during the interwar period…

Though it has been modified and restored in structure, today’s Trocadéro Plaza remains firmly rooted in its purpose. Built in 1878 for use and display in the 1937 World’s Fair, the Trocadéro Palace is the only original building to have survived that…

During the 1937 Exposition Universelle, a sense of optimism existed throughout the entire event following the recovery from World War I and a belief that following peace would be lasting. Many felt that the exhibition was a part of a "dawning of good…

The district of Montparnasse has long been associated with literature and art. In the 17th century, the area was a popular site for Parisian students to meet and recite poetry; they named the region after the mythological home of the Muses and…

When I walked into Galerie Colbert after walking into both Galerie Vivienne and Passage Choiseul, I was extremely surprised with what I found. After observing the other two passages, full of shops, restaurants, and cafés, I found a long hallway that…